Friday, December 7, 2007

Camillus House

This is a pic of the front entrance to Camillus House. Actually it jus one of four locations that they have down here. It is also right where I parked my SUV. I definitely felt like a cultural tourist. The program was started in 1960 by Mathias Barrett, a Catholic brother from the other side. Brothers are like mini-priests, in case you don't know. I don't remember the exact distinction, but they can't perform a lot of the sacraments and they still can't marry or have sex. So that is a go figure. Apparently they CAN do really awesome charity works, like old brother Mathias. He also founded the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd, who are these cool Catholics dedeicated to helping the poor and needy à la Camillus House. The brothers are still associated with the house (they said grace before each meal when I was there).

No comments: